Today’s bakes for Coeliac Awareness Week have been adapted from an old and very faithful recipe for biscuits I have had for a number of years and its one that I have passed on to lots of people! Today’s variation are Gluten Free, Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Whilst having a coffee at a friend’s house, with a group of lovely mummy friends, my friend produced some beautiful homemade biscuits, unfortunately I couldn’t eat them as they weren’t gluten free, so could only admire them from afar. A few weeks later we moved away and inside our New Home card my friend had put the recipe…….and I’ve never looked back, it’s my most used biscuit/cookie recipe! I’ve now adapted it though to produce a “Millies Cookies” style of cookie instead of small crunchy biscuits the original recipe produced. They are so adaptable, the original recipe was for ginger biscuits but I often omit the ginger and add other ingredients to produce a variety of cookies! They are always a hit and so I’ve passed my version on to lots of people so they can enjoy them too!
For the dairy free version, using the original recipe, I found the Dairy Free Spread makes the cookies spread and end up looking more like brandy snaps, so I’ve added a bit more G/F flour to the recipe and this seemed to work brliantly. So here is the adapted recipe, I hope you enjoy them as much we all do!
So this is my adapted recipe to make them Gluten Free & Dairy Free. I’m sure once you’ve tried them they’ll become a favourite of yours too and you’ll soon be adapting them to produce a variety of cookies!
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients (makes 18)
- 170g dairy free spead (I used Vitality)
- 75g golden syrup
- 350g Gluten Free plain flour
- 225g granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder ( make sure this is gluten free too)
- 1 tablespoon soya milk (or any dairy free milk alternative)
- 100g Dairy Free & Gluten Free Cocolate Buttons or chips (I used Asda Free From Chocolate Buttons)
- Preheat oven to 150℃/Gas 2
- Place the chocolate buttons in the freezer whilst preparing the cookie dough
- Line 3 baking trays with greaseproof paper
- Place the dairy free spread and golden syrup in a heavy based saucepan and melt over a low heat, making sure it doesn’t boil and stirring occasionally.
- Place the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl
- Once the dairy free spread and syrup has melted pour it over the dry ingredients, then add the milk and mix together thoroughly.
- Leave to cool for approximately 10 minutes
- Remove the chocolate buttons from the freezer and stir into the cookie dough mixture until evenly distributed.
- Form the dough into balls, approximately the size of golf balls and place them well apart on the prepared baking trays
- Bake for 15 minutes, until they have spread and are golden brown
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the baking trays and placing them on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Share….Eat & Enjoy
Gluten free Cookies!!
Use the recipe below and the instructions as above….just as delicious!
- 300g (10oz) gluten free plain flour
- 225g (8oz) sugar
- 5ml (1tsp) Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1x 11/2 5ml (11/2 tsp) Gluten free Baking Powder
- 170g (6oz) Butter/margarine
- 15ml (1tbsp) Golden Syrup
- 2x15ml (2tbsp) Milk
( I add a packet of chocolate beans, chocolate chips or substitute 1tbs of flour for cocoa and add some chocolate chips for double chocolate cookies. Just make sure anything you add is gluten free!!)