Gluten free baking doesn’t have to be expensive! This biscuit recipe makes 36 good size biscuits and cost less than £1.80 to make. That’s less than 5p per biscuit. They are so simple and the kids would love to make them! I chose to make biscuits after my recent purchase of a Lakeland Message Stamp Set! I thought they would be great to practice on! They worked perfectly with this recipe and what a great way to let everyone know they are gluten free! Not only can they be used to write messages on biscuits but they can also be used with fondant icing to personalise cupcakes and cakes! I made half of this batch for some friends celebrating their anniversary with their names on them, they loved them……the possibilities are endless! Anyway….back to the recipe!
I made these biscuits using ingredients all purchased from Asda. The price of these biscuits may vary from supermarket to supermarket, depending where you do your shopping.
Gluten Free Vanilla Biscuits
(Makes approximately 36)
- 350g Gluten Free Plain flour (53p)
- 100g Gluten Free Self-raising flour (17p)
- 125g Butter (cold, straight from the fridge) (44p)
- 125g Granulated sugar (7p)
- 1 Egg, beaten (13p)
- 125g Golden Syrup (24p)
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract (15p)
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the flour,
- Rub the mixture between you fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add in the sugar and mix in well until evenly distributed
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and pour in beaten egg, vanilla extract and golden syrup.
- Using a spoon begin to combine the ingredients together before gathering dough to form a large ball with your hands.
- Divide the dough into two and wrap each half in clingfilm and place in the fridge and chill for 30 minutes
- Once the dough has finished chilling remove one half, unwrap and place on a work top dusted with gluten free flour.
- Roll out the dough to approximately 6 mm deep and cut out your required shape using a cookie cutter of your choice. ( Something simple works the best with this recipe)
- If using the message stamps, nows the time to gently press your message onto the dough
- Carefully place the cut out dough on baking trays lined with greaseproof paper
- Gather any off cuts of dough and repeat the process until it’s all been used.
- Place the baking tray in the fridge and at the same time remove the other half of the dough mixture wrapped in clingfilm out of the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC / Gas mark 3
- Roll out the second half of the dough and repeat the process as above until all the dough has been used.
- Remove the first batch of biscuits/baking trays from the fridge and place the second batch of baking trays/biscuits in their place.
- Bake the first batch of biscuits in the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the baking tray before removing and cooling thoroughly on a cooling rack.
- Once the first batch are baked place the second batch in the oven and bake as above.
- Store in an airtight container.
Eat & Enjoy