My daughter Holly, now 21, always asks for an alternative type of cake for her birthday! With a mum as a cake baker I think she is probably fed up with homemade novelty birthday cakes! Once, to my horror when she was 8 or 9, she even asked for a shop bought cake because that’s what everyone else has!! This year she asked for a giant crispy cake for her 21st and a chocolate crispy cake for her friend. These sent me on a mission and I came up with this Rocky Road Crispy Cake!
This cake is a chewy crispy cake with mini marshmallows and raisins, decorated with melted chocolate, chocolate coated raisins white chocolate chunks and mini marshmallows….its certainly not low in calories, but it certainly is tasty!
Gluten Free Rocky Road Crispy Cakes
- 50g Butter
- 60g Golden syrup
- 125g Marshmallows (check these are gluten free)
- 150g Milk chocolate (check this is gluten free)
- 175g Puffed rice (Gluten free)
- 100g Raisins
- 50g Mini marshmallows (check these aregluten free)
- 50g White chocolate (check gluten free)
- 70g Milk chocolate (check gluten free)
- 75g Chocolate coated raisins (check gluten free )
- 20g Mini marshmallows (check gluten free)
- 40g White chocolate chunks (check gluten free)
- Lightly grease a 9″/23cm square cake tin with butter.
- In a large saucepan slowly melt together the butter, golden syrup, the large marshmallows and the chocolate over a very low heat. (Do not rush this otherwise the chocolate will burn)
- This will soon become very smooth and silky
- Stir in the puffed rice and raisins and mix before adding the mini marshmallows
- Spoon into the greased cake tin and smooth out, ensuring the mixture goes right into the corners
- Place in the fridge to cool for approximately 30 minutes.
- Once the crispy cake has cooled remove from the fridge
- Place a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water, making sure it doesn’t touch the water.
- Melt the white chocolate, once smooth using a spoon, drizzle over the crispy cake
- Do the same with the milk chocolate, but only drizzle over half of the melted chocolate.
- Scatter the chocolate raisins, mini marshmallows and white chocolate chunks over the crispy cake before drizzling with the remaining milk chocolate.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before removing from the tin and cutting.