I’m back, fully recovered and with Christmas around the corner I thought it only right that I should start creating and blogging again with some Christmas recipes! First up are these delicious gingerbread cupcakes! The recipe for the mini gingerbread men is included and as it makes a lot more gingerbread biscuits than you actually require, the spare ones can fill your cookie jar…..so basically you’re doing 2 bakes with this recipe!! If however you haven’t time to make the gingerbread biscuits to decorate your cupcakes then just dust them with a sprinkling of cinnamon or ground ginger….or cheat and buy some gingerbread themed decorations…..I know Sainsburys do some Gingerbread Men decorations…..and they are gluten free!
These cupcakes are a light ginger sponge topped with a delicious ginger buttercream and topped with a gingerbread biscuit. The recipe makes 12 large cupcakes and lots of mini gingerbread men! Once you have cut out sufficient mini gingerbread men you can use any Christmas themed cutters to make Christmas biscuits….or you can carry on with the mini gingerbread man cutter and have a jar full of mini gingerbread men! ! If you don’t want to make so many gingerbread biscuits you could always half the mixture, but I never worry as the family love the biscuits!
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcakes Recipe!
For the Mini Gingerbread Men
- 125g cold butter
- 350g gluten free plain flour
- 100g gluten free self-raising flour
- 40g brown sugar
- 85g granulated sugar
- 125g golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
For the Gingerbread Cake
- 170g Margarine or softened butter
- 170g Soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 170g gluten free self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
For the Buttercream
- 200g softened butter
- 400g Icing sugar
- 6 tablespoons stem ginger syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the flour,
- Rub the mixture between your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add in the sugars and ground ginger and mix in well until evenly distribute.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and pour in beaten egg and golden syrup.
- Using a spoon begin to combine the ingredients together before gathering dough to form a large ball with your hands.
- Divide the dough into two and wrap each half in clingfilm and place in the fridge and chill for 30 minutes. (If you haven’t the time to chill before rolling this could be left out, although the dough is a lot softer and stickier to roll)
- Once the dough has finished chilling remove one half, unwrap and place on a work top dusted with gluten free flour.
- Roll out the dough to approximately 5mm deep and cut out the mini gingerbread men
- Carefully place the cut out dough on baking trays lined with greaseproof paper
- Gather any off cuts of dough and repeat the process until it’s all been used.
- Using the end of a skewer make eyes and buttons on each gingerbread man
- Place the baking tray in the fridge (this stops them from spreading to much whlst baking) At the same time remove the other half of the dough mixture wrapped in clingfilm out of the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC / Gas mark 3
- Roll out the second half of the dough and repeat the process as above until all the dough has been used.
- Remove the first batch of biscuits/baking trays from the fridge and place the second batch of baking trays/biscuits in their place.
- Bake the first batch of biscuits in the preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the baking tray before removing and cooling thoroughly on a cooling rack.
- Once the first batch are baked place the second batch in the oven and bake as above.
- Leave to cool completely whilst making the cupcakes.
- Whist the gingerbread men are cooking make the cupcakes, leave the oven on once the gingerbread biscuits are out!
- Place 12 large cupcake cases in a muffin tin
- Using an electric mixer cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl.
- Add an egg to the creamed margarine/sugar mixture and beat thoroughly, then add a 1/3 flour and mix in well, repeat until all the eggs and flour has been used.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake cases (you can also use an ice cream scoop for this if it’s easier)
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, until the cakes are golden and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and remove the cupcakes from the muffin tin (this prevents them sweating and the cupcake cases coming off)
- Leave to cool whilst you make up the Buttercream
- Place the butter in a mixing bowl and using an electric mixer beat the butter until it’s nice and soft.
- Add the icing sugar, stem ginger syrup and ground ginger and beat thoroughly until the icing is nice and fluffy.
- Place the icing in a piping bag with a large star nozzle (or a choice of your own)
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled pipe on a generous amount of icing in a spiral on each of the cupcakes.
- Finish them off by placing a gingerbread man biscuit on each one….and voila they are done!
Now the best part………
eat & enjoy them!