I love mincemeat but am not a fan of pastry and so I don’t really make mince pies, I tend to buy mine at Christmas (criminal I know considering how much I love baking). Asmy way as with a lot of my recipes I get inspiration from recipes I see others make and do and think us Coeliacs should also be able to eat the same sort of things! Well yesterday Jo Wheatley, a GBBO winner, posted a fabulous picture of her Christmas Palmiers on media sites and it made think of how I could adapt my Gluten Free Cranberry and White Chocolate Pastries into festive mincemeat palmiers! So easy and so delicious, give them a go and see for yourselves!
These palmiers are made with Genius Puff pastry and a jar of mincemeat (please ensure its gluten free) then an egg is used to give them a golden glaze and there’s an optional drizzle of icing to decorate them.
Gluten Free Mincemeat Palmiers (makes 16-18)
- 1x packet of Genius gluten free puff pastry
- Approximately ¾ jar of mincemeat (check its Gluten Free!)
- 1 egg beaten
- 50g Icing sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cold water
- Preheat the over to 180℃/Gas 4
- Roll out the pastry to approximately 30 x 30cm
- Spread the mincemeat evenly over the pastry.
- Starting at the bottom of the pastry, tightly roll the pastry towards you to the middle.
- Roll the top half of the pastry down in the same way to meet the other rolled up pastry.
- Seal together the two rolls with a little of the beaten egg.
- Using a sharp knife trim either end of the rolled pastry, then cut it into 16-18 even slices, approximately 1½ cm wide.
- Place each slice on a non stick backing tray, 3cm apart.
- Carefully glaze the pastry slices with the beaten egg before baking.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the pastries from the baking trays and leave them to cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, mix the icing sugar and water together and drizzle of the pastry swirls!
And there you have it, a quick, easy and delicious alternative to Gluten Free Mince Pies!
Eat & Enjoy!