My daughter doesn’t really like sweet things and she doesnt really like cakes! Every year I try to do something different for her as a birthday cake, we’ve had Millionaires Shortbread, Rocky Road and Crispy cakes to name but a few as I can’t let her birthday go without baking some sort of alternative birthday cake. She absolutely loves popcorn though, so this year I began looking at different options of things I could do with popcorn, nothing really appealed to me so I thought I’d just make her a Salted Caramel Popcorn Cake……..thankfully she absolutely loved it!
This cake is light, sweet, with a hint of salt and is covered with toffee popcorn and a drizzle of caramel! What’s not to love about it!! If you are being very good you could even make you own salted caramel popcorn….this recipe from My Popcorn Kitchen looks lovely and next time I think I’ll be using it to decorate this cake….click here the link to Salted Caramel Popcorn!
Gluten Free Salted Caramel Popcorn Cake!
- 285g softened salted butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 75g tinned Caramel
- 285g gluten free self raising flour
- 5 eggs
- ½ teaspoon gluten free baking powder
For the butter cream filling and frosting
- 100g softened salted butter
- 100g tinned Caramel
- 200g Icing sugar
For the caramel sauce
- 175g tinned Caramel
- ¼ approximately rock salt (you can add more or less, depending how salty you like the sauce.
- 1x 200g bag toffee popcorn (you’ll need to make sure this is gluten free as some aren’t)
- ¼ teaspoon Rock salt to sprinkle on the top of the finished cake.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Grease and line 2x 8inch cake tins.
- Cream the butter, sugar and caramel until light and fluffy using a handheld or free standing electric mixer.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl.
- Add 1 egg and beat thoroughly then add 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture and mix in thoroughly.
- Repeat the above until all the eggs have been added.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and mix on a low setting until it is well combined.
- Decide the mixture evenly between the two cake tins and spread the mixture to the edge of the cake tins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the cake is springy to the touch and coming away from the edges of the tin.
- Turn out the cakes onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- Whilst the cakes are cooling, place butter, caramel and Icing sugar for the frosting into a mixing bowl and beat until well combined and fluffy.
- Once the cakes have cooled place one of the cakes on a large flat plate and cover the top with half of the frosting.
- Mix the salt into caramel and use half of it to cover the frosted cake.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the first and use all the remaining frosting mixture to cover the top of the cake.
- Cover liberally with the popcorn. Place any remaining popcorn around the cake on the plate for decoration.
- Drizzle the remaining salted caramel mixture over the cake & popcorn and sprinkle with the rock salt.
Eat & Enjoy!